We are able to act for parents, grandparents and other family members in relation to the arrangements for children, by offering expert advice and explaining the various routes available to help our clients reach the outcome which is the best for their family. Some of the ways we do this is through the traditional route of legal advice and negotiation, mediation including direct consultations with children or by issuing court proceedings – if appropriate.

How can we help you?

Contact (now “Time With”) and Residence (now “Lives With”)

When parents separate or indeed, if they have already separated by the time a child is born, decisions need to be made about where the child(ren) will live and what arrangements should be made for the child(ren) to spend time with the other parent. This, however, is not always easy and often some parents are unable to agree. In such a situation we can offer mediation – to try to identify and resolve issues and more importantly open the lines of communication. Occasionally, it is necessary to issue an application to the court for an order. We are able to go through with you all the possible ways to reach a suitable outcome for all parties involved and most importantly, what is in the best interests of your child(ren).

Care Proceedings

Some families experience involvement with Social Services, if a local authority are concerned that a child is suffering or is at risk of suffering harm – this could be physical, sexual, psychological and/or neglect. In circumstances where the local authority are involved and considering applying for a care order, it is important to obtain expert legal advice at the earliest opportunity, to talk you through your available options and the necessary steps that can or need to be taken.

Grandparents and Extended Family

Family life has changed considerably over recent years. It is less common for women to be “stay at home” mothers, as many have to work due to financial pressures. Grandparents and wider family members therefore, in many cases, help with childcare and provide invaluable support for the family and can play a hugely important role in a child’s life.

Sometimes parents are not in the position to look after their children for a number of reasons and grandparents can find themselves parenting for the second time around. This can be a temporary measure but in other cases can be done formally, so that the grandparents role in the child’s life is legally recognised and support, including financial support, can be given. This is particularly the case if a special guardianship order is made.
We recognise the important role that grandparents and wider family members play in a child’s life and have experience acting for them in both public law and private law proceedings.

Please call us today, to make an appointment for your free initial consultation. We can then discuss your case with you and one of our team of experienced family lawyers can advise you on the next step(s).

Please see our quick guides below:

Contact Quick Guide

Child Abduction Quick Guide

Public Law Care Proceedings Quick Guide

Special Guardianship Quick Guide